01 January 2021

Annual Review


If you want to conduct your year-end review, ask yourself the question that Lacan asks in his seminar called
The Ethics of Psychoanalysis: “Have you acted in conformity to your desire?”

You maybe respond, “I wanted to, but lockdown restricted me from doing the thing I like”. Well, desire is not only about doing something that I like, that is to say, narrowing it into a specific object of my preferences. What is mostly about, is the inspiration and the will to make-happen. Desire is about creation.

 

Think about a child that wants to play but doesn’t have a playstation, or a racing track toy, or a plain doll. The child that wants to play will find a thousand ways and more to construct those things. The child will pick up a used tin can, a broken branch, a piece of string and play the whole day, wherever s/he may be - and if not, if the child denies to play unless s/he gets a specific toy, then we should consider that there is something wrong with this child.

 

Desire is about making our best out of our current situation. Some people talk about acceptance in a passive and pessimistic way; in a way that “if I accept what’s happening, then I accept that I am a slave”. This forms a necessity, where the only way available is resisting or remaining idle in that situation - which is, too, a resistance because staying idle doesn’t take place without force on one’s body, a force that make the body tired, thus the usual “I do nothing but I am continuously tired”. Acceptance is about considering the current situation as is, and doing what can be done accordingly. If a child is grounded from leaving their bedroom, locked down, and maybe after resisting, would it abandon his game, or would s/he invent one?

 

Don’t place your desire into a specific demand of doing this or that. Desire is the source of creation (another word for life): this is precisely what one shouldn’t lock down.